Towneley 120 > pre 1902
Lady O’Hagan, last resident of Towneley Hall sold the Hall and immediate parkland to Burnley Corporation. The park opened in 1902 with the Hall nearly a year later.
The Hall pre 1896. Negotiations for the sale of Towneley Hall dragged on over the issue of coal mining rights and the Hall is supported by coal seams running underneath.
Hanbrig Castle. This was built by the Towneley’s as a grand entrance to the park. Only a portion survives.
Gardeners, 1890s. On the left is Joseph Culshaw (1812-1904) a farm bailiff in charge of the Towneley’s herd of short horned cattle.
Rear of Towneley Hall’s west wing. On the right is Clytie, favourite sculpture of collector Charles Townley (sic). The area behind the photographer was the Wilderness and the water pipe immediately to the left of Clytie was installed after 1887.
Outbuildings beyond the Hall used by the Towneley’s include the brewhouse and laundry now a local history museum. Rhododendrons were widely planted in parks, gardens and estates. The ones in Towneley have been thinned and reduced in size.
Caroline Roslyng, niece of Joseph Culshaw, farm bailiff.
On her right is a tall Cedar of Lebanon tree, one of two replanted by Charles Towneley in 1803.
Rabbit Walk and Brooklands. The walk cut across the park and was the centre of a dispute between the Towneley’s and local people when the right of way was closed. The monogram JA signifies John Allen who provided some of the early collections to the museum.