The culvert carries the Leeds Liverpool canal over the street. The original bridge was altered in 1896/7 by the addition of two ‘gimlet holes’ for pedestrians. In 1904, the tramway to Towneley was added. Nearby was the Yorkshire Hotel and Keirby Brewery. The brewery (demolished 1938) was run by the Grimshaw’s. They were taken over by Massey’s who were the town’s largest brewer. Edward Stocks Massey, whose bequest remains, was a major benefactor in the town.