The Mechanics Institute on Manchester Road was opened in 1855 but it had existed since 1834. The venue provided the chance for working people to improve their education. The photograph was an old one (the Town Hall was built next door in 1888) used on a 20th century postcard.

Town Hall and Manchester Road, Burnley
Town Hall and Manchester Road, Burnley
reverse of Town Hall and Manchester Road, Burnley