Cliviger remains an area made up of small, diverse settlements although the spread of housing has made boundaries less clear. The settlements were semi rural with a small cotton mill, coal mines, potteries, brewery, farms and churches. The area is cut through by the railway and there was once a plan to link the Rochdale and Leeds Liverpool Canals by one through the Cliviger valley. The Holme was associated with local antiquary Dr TD Whitaker whose History of the Parish Read more>>
This selection of postcards touches on the four main elements which currently encompass Towneley. They are: The park Towneley Hall The family who used to live there The collections in the building All are linked. The Hall was occupied and the park owned for hundreds of years by the Towneley family. Their influence was far reaching with interests and concerns regionally and nationally. Part of their legacy exists in the building, the park and some of the museum pieces. But Read more>>
Five: An un-posed photograph. The road is Keighley Road in Colne with a chap zipping by on his bike and others relying on shanks’ pony. The two workmen are engaged in conversation with someone who is partly hidden across the street. Much has changed but much remains. All that’s missing is a tram. For a modern view see google maps. Four: Janie sent the card below to Dora who was away in the local September holiday. The two would understand Read more>>
Dora came from Burnley and lived above the family grocer’s shop in the Daneshouse area of town. She had seven siblings with one being born in Australia where the family lived for a short time before returning to Lancashire. She worked in the cotton industry as a weaver. Dora died a spinster in 1963. A family relation, Ernest from New Zealand, is pictured in service uniform during the Great War. He returned to New Zealand after the war and died Read more>>
Trafalgar was an area of densely occupied housing surrounded by mills and factories.
The Mechanics Institute on Manchester Road was opened in 1855 but it had existed since 1834. The venue provided the chance for working people to improve their education. The photograph was an old one (the Town Hall was built next door in 1888) used on a 20th century postcard.
The culvert carries the Leeds Liverpool canal over the street. The original bridge was altered in 1896/7 by the addition of two ‘gimlet holes’ for pedestrians. In 1904, the tramway to Towneley was added. Nearby was the Yorkshire Hotel and Keirby Brewery. The brewery (demolished 1938) was run by the Grimshaw’s. They were taken over by Massey’s who were the town’s largest brewer. Edward Stocks Massey, whose bequest remains, was a major benefactor in the town.
The buildings were on Church Street. John Holt sold horse meat for the cat even if you didn’t have a cat. The 16th century property was demolished in 1938 and the datestone is at Towneley Hall. Hall Street is the hill running to the right. The other photographs are the connecting Cannon Street looking in different directions. This was once a prosperous part of Burnley but by 1850 had become The refuge of the desolate, The strong hold of the Read more>>